Post Graduate Department and Research of Malayalam The department of Malayalam was established in the year 1965. The department was upgraded to include UG programme, B.A MALAYALAM in 1967. PG Programme in Malayalam was started in the year 2010. Under the affiliation of Calicut University, the Dept. offers BA and MA Programme in Malayalam Language and Literature since 1967 and 2010 respectively.
B.A Malayalam programmes includes Sanskrit and Kerala Culture as complementary courses.Apart from that the Department also offers an open course – ‘Literature and Creative writing’ for the UG students of other Departments. Approved intake: UG 33 students; PG 12 students.
Best practices/teaching learning methods :
• COPY RIGHT RESEARCH JOURNAL -MALAYALA PACHCHA: The Department is proud to publish a bi-annual academic research journal with ISSN No.2454-292X named malayalapachcha. This journal is the first Indian open source/copy right research journal in Language and literature.
• INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODS: Malayalam Dept. is taking special initiation to experiment innovative teaching methods to uplift the academic achievements. Theatre as a method of curriculum transaction, IT enabled teaching, co-operative and collaborative learning activities are a few among them.
• 3 YEARS 300 BOOKS: This programme is aimed to make all the UG students read at least 300 basic books by the time they complete their three year programme. The department could monitor this and the programme is successfully leading to the fourth year.
• MALAYALAM BLOG: Another outstanding feature of the dept. is the Dept. blog and students blogs where students can publish their Creative writings and thereby get introduced to the cyber world. The official Blog of the Dept. called Erattavara( www.erattavara.blogspot.com )has links to all the other blogs.
• PRINTED AND MANUSCRIPT MAGAZINES: The students in each semester of UG and PG classes release a manuscript magazine. The Dept. encourages the students by giving prizes to the best magazine.Apart from the manuscript magazine the UG students publishes an annual printed magazine.
• ARCHIVES: The rare collection of almost 500 magazines is a Historical asset of the Dept. It also has a collection of the curriculum of UG, PG courses over a period of 60 years beginning from1950 onwards. This is an exclusive credit which Malayalam Dept. of KKTM Govt. College can only claim.
• PHOTO GALLERY OF WRITERS: Photo Gallery aimed to make the students acquaint with the famous writers of Malayalam has a collection of almost 100 Photos now.
• CURRICULUM QUIZ: This programme is designed by the Dept.to prepare the students to face the competitive exams and objective type questions of evaluation confidently. This programme helps the students to increase their general awareness of the Course Content.
• MN VIJAYAN CULTURAL FORUM: This cultural forum conducts debates, seminars, discussions, reading, recitation,elocution, art and music in every Friday during lunch break. MN Vijayan library runs by this forum.
• Coaching for academically weaker students under Remedial coaching scheme • Class level PTA meetings in every semester for giving/ getting feedback from parents • Personal counseling given to needy students • Bright students are selected for Walk with scholar programme (WWS) and encouragement given to opt for higher studies. • Good rapport maintained between teachers and students • Students are given opportunities for developing organizational skills and leadership qualities by giving responsibilities in conducting national seminars, science day celebration etc. • Activities of Malayalam Association is going on effectively
• Minor Research Project. (Click here to download)
Facilities: • Department Library • 4 desktop computers and 3 laptop computers with peripheral • Internet facility • Smart Class rooms • Interactive boards, Visualiser, movie camera, public addressing system